IS SPORTSWEAR A NEW FASHION TREND?
Sportswear has been a part of American fashion since the 1930s. Since then, its popularity has grown significantly. After the turn of the millennium, sportswear has become a part of day and evening fashion trends for a range of social occasions, reflecting a more casual approach to design. Since then, the concept of athleisure has dominated fashion.
WHAT IS ATHLEISURE?
It’s the latest fashion trend that denotes a wide array of clothes that work well for athletic activities as well as leisure activities. It includes sportswear that is designed with modern textiles and enhances workout performance while being comfortable, versatile, and above all, fashionable. The term “Athleisure” was included in the Merriam-Webster’s unabridged dictionary in the year 2016.
WHAT ARE SOME POPULAR TYPES OF FASHIONABLE SPORTSWEAR?
Some of the more popular types of fashionable sportswear include:
- Yoga pants
- Long Tops
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FASHIONABLE ATHLETIC APPAREL?
- Long lasting
- The lightweight and breathable fabrics are highly durable and retain the shape and elasticity, thus making them ideal for daily wear.
- Fashionable sportswear is designed to enhance the performance of your workouts by not restricting your movements.
- With a wide array of fashionable sportswear that you can wear to work and run errands in, you can now also workout anytime you wish, without having to carry a huge gym bag.
- Fashion Forward
- With endless combinations of tops, pants, and outerwear, you can now look fashion forward, even in your gym wear.
- You no longer need to maintain separate sets of clothes for gym and streetwear. Instead of separates with carefully chosen combinations, you can streamline your clothing collection with minimal fuss.
WHAT ARE THE MUST-HAVES OF ATHLEISURE APPAREL?
- Crop Hoodie
- You can throw them over a sports bra and easily transition from gym wear to streetwear.
- Bomber Jacket
- This versatile piece of clothing can be paired with leggings, a leather skirt, ripped jeans and so on.
- Team them with a cropped top or tee, and you can wear them both in the gym and at lunch.
- A must have if you want to wear the Athleisure trend while staying cool and comfortable during your workouts.
- Coordinated Sets
- This includes both tops and bottoms in matching colors. Opt for neutral or dark colors to transition from gym to streetwear.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF FABRICS USED IN ATHLEISURE GARMENTS?
- Natural Fabrics
- Bamboo: Soft, durable, and anti-microbial – it is an eco-friendly alternative. Keeps you warm during winter and cool in the summer.
- Wool: Perfect for regulating body heat, it’s often used for outdoor apparel like hiking. It’s breathable and offers moisture protection.
- Artificial Fabrics
- Spandex: It’s a type of polyurethane fabric that has plenty of stretch and comes with a matte finish and feels smooth on the skin.
- Polyester: It’s a synthetic fabric that is stretchy, smooth and fast wicking. It’s durable, doesn’t shrink and holds its shape for a long time.
- Nylon: Stronger, smoother, long-lasting and more abrasion resistant when compared to polyester. Low moisture absorbency means it dries super quickly.
- Elastane: Its exceptional elasticity makes it ideal for high-performance apparel.
- Supplex: Fast drying, breathable and with excellent color retention, it’s used in stretch jerseys and other sportswear.
- Lycra: Often confused with spandex, lycra fabrics are incredibly stretchy and are blended with other synthetic materials to provide shape and support. Used in underwear, swimwear, and activewear.
- Tactel: Light, durable, soft and dries much faster than cotton - it makes for great sportswear material.
- Silver: It’s a polyester fabric that is blended with recycled silver threads, and acts as a natural anti-microbial, thereby reducing body odor.
WHY ISN’T 100% COTTON LEGGINGS USED FOR ATHLETIC APPAREL?
One of the most popularly used natural fibers, 100% cotton isn’t ideal for sweaty activities. It’s highly hydrophilic and can retain 25X its weight in water, thereby taking a long time to dry. Also, cotton can lead to chafing and even cause hypothermia in winter. Unless cotton is blended with other fabrics, it is not suited for athletic leggings.
HOW TO SHOP FOR ATHLEISURE GEAR?
Step 1: Try it on and Move in it
Unlike trying on regular clothes where you look in the mirror, try doing a few exercises with your activewear. This helps you to find out whether it’s comfortable.
Step 2: Look for Signs of Chafing
Being comfortable while working out is vital. Apparel that feels great on your skin will motivate you to work out more and help you focus on getting the right form.
Step 3: Mix and Match
While choosing apparel, look for individual pieces of clothing that go well together. This way you can mix and match your styles to create new exciting combinations.